Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Tuesday July 3rd

8.40pm and I am still in the office. S is not a happy bunny.

But more importantly, I am taking time out of my busy Excel schedule to blog about The One Who Got Away. I am sure we all have one of these - the one whom you thought was the One, but then you never were and will never be. You don't hear from them for ages but then everytime they pop up in your lives, your knees go weak and your heart beats a little faster.

I methim on a flight. We got along really well on the 6 hour flight. We stayed in touch, but he lived in Frankfurt.

Two weeks after that first flight, he invited me to meet him in Paris for the day. I refused because I wanted to play hard to get, but I ended up going to Brussels the next weekend because he was on my mind so much.

Over the following year and a half, we were sorta in touch. Sorta as in he would go MIA whenever he was dating someone else in Frankfurt.

During that time, we even had a conversation where I put myself out there and told him how I just couldn't get him off my mind. But he pointed out, "there was no point starting something since we were in different cities."

Anyway, to cut a long story short, this guy haunted my memory for about two years. Every new guy that I met was inevitably compared to him, and almost always fell short.

Finally, I saw him walking down the street in London hand-in-hand with his new girlfriend. I think we both saw each other from the corner of our eyes but refused to acknowledge each other. And that was when I decided to stop moping over him.

But when I moved to NY, I sent out a mass mailer about my move. And I guess there was a part of me that wanted him to know that I was in the same country as him now, albeit with a longer flight separating us than before. He responded to my email and we exchanged a number of brief emails. I had not heard from him for several weeks and had written him off (for about the zillionth time). And what do you know, an email just popped up in my inbox!

Be still, my pounding heart...

How does one kill hope? Because in spite of all the disappointment and heartache I have experienced over this guy who has never felt the same way for me, there's a part of me that still thinks he is the One.

p.s. In case you were wondering, I did not actually sleep with him over the whole long period until I knew it was never going to work between us.

No comments: