Thursday, July 12, 2007

Thursday July 12th

My colleague just brought his 2-week old baby daughter into the office. So adorable!!

Yes, I think I am actually getting broody. And yes, for those of you who don't know me, you can probably guess how old/young I must be. I'm getting to that age where my friends are settling down, getting married and having kids.

And you know what, I am not afraid to shout it out loud that I want to get married and raise a family. People tend to be surprised when they learn that about me. Theoretically, I have a high-flying career, am decently attractive and won't need to settle for just any guy.

And after all the bra-burning feminists' effort to break the stereotype of female giving up their careers to stay home to raise the kids, it seems almost wrong to have such an traditional ambition. But I think the real victory for the feminist movement should be that now, women have a choice if they want to be stay-home-moms rather climb the corporate ladder or in some extremely ambitious cases, have it all.

And in my case, I grew up in a single parent family, always looking enviously at other families with both mom and dad, wondering if my mom and I would have been happier if my dad was still around.

As a result, I want my own family, both mom and dad, a few kids (because being an only child sucks). I want us to be always laughing and happy. I want to be holding hands with my husband even at the age of 60. I want my kids to look upon my happy relationship with my husband and aspire towards that themselves.

I leave you with a picture of my darling god-daughter. Guys, you've been warned, she is going to be a real heartbreaker.



The Observer has a piece on The New Victorians who are getting married, having babies and buying real estate in their twenties, rather than getting wasted and sleeping around. Return to traditional values?

No comments: